What are ASUU Demands 2022? What are the major reasons why ASUU is on strike? well, In this post, I will show you a list of ASUU demands which must be met before the union can call off or suspend the ongoing strike which started in February 2022.
ASUU Demands 2022/2023 To Call Off Strike
ASUU reasons for going on strike:
- ASUU embarked on strike action in March 2020, following its disagreement with the Federal Government over the funding of the universities.
- Implementation of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS), which according to the Union, negates the autonomy policy for the universities, among other issues.
- The Union called off its 9-month old strike in December 2020 after the Federal Government agreed to some of its conditions.
- These include the deployment of University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS) software for payment of its salaries and allowances.
- However, a year after signing the MoA, ASUU accused the government of failing to fulfill its side of the bargain and threatened to mobilise for another actions immediately.
- The government quickly moved to pay N55bn as part-payment for the Earned Academic Allowance and Revitalisation Fund, but the union was unmoved until the Nigeria Inter-Religious Council and other dignitaries waded in.
- ASUU said the federal government has only addressed 2 out of its 8 demands, including the visitation panel to federal universities and described the release of funds for the Earned Academic Allowance and revitalisation funds as partial.
- Some of the demands of ASUU include the sustainability of the university autonomy, which it said the introduction of IPPIS violates.
- Immediate deployment of UTAS to replace IPPIS; renegotiation of the 2009 ASUU-FGN agreement.
- Release of the reports of visitation panels to federal universities and distortions in salary payment challenges.
- Others include funding for revitalisation of public universities, earned academic allowance, poor funding of state universities and promotion arrears.
The above are the core reasons why ASUU is on strike and if these demands are met the Academic staff Union of Universities will be left with no other option than to call off the ongoing strike which has lasted for more than 4 months.
The Federal Government (FG) must as a matter of urgency prefer a solution to ASUU’s unending strike which has collapsed the Nigerian educational system.
Was this Article Helpful? Do you have any Questions or Suggestions? If yes, Please use the Comment Box below.